Friday, October 06, 2006

GM slowly returning to health


DETROIT (Reuters) -- After nixing a three-way alliance with Renault-Nissan, the pressure is on General Motors to post quarterly results that deliver on the promise of its go-it-alone turnaround strategy, analysts said today.GM CEO Rick Wagoner on Wednesday, Oct. 4, called GM's progress to date this year "well ahead of what the skeptics thought possible" in explaining the reason for breaking off talks with Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co.Wagoner's buoyant assessment of the automaker's restructuring raised expectations that GM was on track to report a significant improvement in third quarter results later this month."Our read is that GM management probably presented solid, preliminary third quarter results to its board ... and had built enough credibility with its board to make the case for going it alone," Bear Stearns analyst Peter Nesvold said. "In short, a solid third quarter report from GM is likely in store."GM, which lost $10.6 billion last year, reports third-quarter results on Oct 25.The Renault-Nissan deal had been urged by GM's biggest individual shareholder Kirk Kerkorian, who has a 9.9-percent stake in the automaker and whose personal representative Jerry York sits on the board.But GM's board voted unanimously to walk away from the deal this week, fueling speculation that Wagoner had won York over for now with evidence of solid financial gains."One could take this unanimous vote as a signal that GM's board remains committed to the current management team and is likely pleased with recent profit improvements and the company's future prospects," Calyon Securities analyst Joseph Amaturo said in a note to clients.Amaturo sees a number of positives for GM in the second half of the year, including the fact that most of its cost-savings will start to be reflected in the third and fourth quarters."This, coupled with reasonable production volumes and higher average transaction prices in North America, should lead to meaningful year-over-year improvements," said Amaturo, who expects GM to post an operating profit of $1.45 per share in the third quarter.That is well beyond the average analyst estimate of 40 cents per share for the quarter, according to Reuters Estimates .But GM has so far surpassed Wall Street estimates this year by posting operating earnings of $2.30 per share for the first half, excluding charges. That compares to a consensus expectation of just 9 cents per share for the two quarters combined.Since January, GM has quieted critics by quickly executing most of it turnaround goals, including cutting 35,000 factory jobs and selling assets, moves Wagoner credits for helping drive a 70 percent gain in GM stock since the start of the year.GM also surprised investors by raising its cost-cutting target by $1 billion to $6 billion by the end of 2006.The automaker has also yet to realize big benefits from two as-yet unresolved issues surrounding former subsidiary Delphi Corp. and its finance arm, GMAC.Wagoner said on Wednesday that he was focused on completing talks with bankrupt former parts maker Delphi and its unions. But analysts say the threat of a strike at the parts maker, once seen as a major risk to GM, is now relatively low.GM is on track to close the sale of a majority stake in GMAC, a transaction that is expected to bring in about $11 billion to the parent company and lower the cost of GMAC's funding.But some analysts question if GM's momentum can be sustained once steps already taken in its restructuring are fully reflected in results.High material costs and weakening demand for large SUVs and pickups remain a risk for GM, which relies on light trucks for 60 percent of sales.Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache said he remains cautious on GM. "That said, we do not anticipate seeing evidence of a negative turn at GM until mid-'07," he said.

Corvette SS in the works


The word floating around the Auto Industry is the Good People at Corvette engineering are working on a new secret Super Corvette,this car that is being to referred to as the Corvette SS is going to bring a new level of performance never seen to Corvette drivers anywhere. While this could change, the cars specs read like something of a racers wish list.
This car is rumoured to have a supercharged engine with a 6.2 litre 650 Horsepower range .
The price range is expected to be around the 100.000 dollar mark, expensive yes, but most likely dirt cheap compared to other cars in the class that will usually cost two to three times as
much money. The name of the car is still apparently being worked on, names like Corvette SS,
Blue devil,Stingray, or Z07 is being toyed with.Hopefully Chevy will pick a name that means something such as Z07 which generally refers to Corvettes that have higher levels of performance over the standard Corvette.
2009 is the year that this super vette is expected to make it's appearance.


J.





Thursday, October 05, 2006

New Altima Hybrid

Inside Line reports...

Nissan is late to the party with its hybrid, trailing Toyota and Honda by several years. Carlos Ghosn, who heads both Nissan and Renault, had repeatedly disparaged hybrids' viability as a solution to environmental and fossil-fuel
issues.The company said the '07 Altima Hybrid initially will be sold in states that have adopted California's tough emissions regulations, including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont, as well as California.


This is a good summary of the Altima Hybrid, it's nice to see Nissan coming to the party even if a few years late, the only question here is why Nissan is licensing Hybrid technology from Toyota Rather than introducing their own. Hybrid powertrains have been around long enough for Nissan to have a mature design of their own.


J.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117038






Bentley Continental GTC


Bentley's Continental GTC is the kind of car that breaks the stereo type and reaches out to the non' Bentley buyer,it has contemporary lines and the gorgeous cratfmanship that makes cars like this worth every Penney that you pay for it. It also seems to have the power to back up it's good looks and sporting pretensions, though a Ferrari it's not, this is the kind of car that you arrive in, not really drive hard, if that's what you prefer, Porsche has the car for you.

My only real problem with this kind of car is that will attract the kind of buyer who will never explore it's capabilities or even care to understand what it's true underlying nature is all about. Unfortunately this car will end up in the hands of retired old men with more money than sense, or the young wives they marry.
Here are the specs

2007 BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GTCOn sale: Sold out price:$196,285 Powertrain: 6.0-liter, 552-hp, 479-lb-ft twin-turbocharged W12; awd, six-speed automatic Curb weight: 5500 lbs 0 to 60 mph: 4.8 seconds (mfr.)Fuel economy (EPA combined): 13.3 mpg (est.)

J.



GM rejects Alliance


DETROIT -- General Motors and Renault-Nissan have ended discussions about a proposed alliance one day after GM directors voted unanimously against the plan. The tally included Jerry York, who represents billionaire GM shareholder Kirk Kerkorian on the GM board. Kerkorian had pressured GM to enter the Renault-Nissan alliance.GM CEO Rick Wagoner said today at a press conference that the parties generally agreed on the benefits of a tie-up and acknowledged that most of those benefits would go to Renault and Nissan. Wagoner added that the parties could not agree on paying GM money to compensate for the imbalance in benefits.“The alliance structure that was proposed was not in the best interest of GM shareholders,” Wagoner said.He added: “We concluded that not using GM funding to invest in Nissan-Renault is a good move at this time.”

This is definitely good news, this alliance would have benefited Nissan and Kirkorian and very little for General Motors, A Ford- GM alliance makes much more sense and would be more balanced. With this behind them,GM can now continue to focus on it's rebuilding.

J

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Volvo S80 Review


Sexiness, safety and evolution are the axis of the 2007 Volvo S80 sedan.At first glance the all-new Volvo S80 looks identical to the model it replaces. The overall length stays the same, but the wheelbase is a bit longer, the track a bit wider, and it is a little more than 1 inch taller. The subtle changes in dimensions and in sheet metal give Volvo's 2007 S80 a much more aggressive stance. Coupled with new and more potent engines, Volvo continues to roll sex appeal into its models.
Volvo continues to roll out cars that now appeal to those seeking safety
and sex appeal, This is somewhat confusing for me, I never thought the day would come when I found a Volvo sensible and appealing.
J.
Find out more....

Toyota sales up


It was the best September ever for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. -- good for the Toyota, Scion and Lexus brands, good for cars and trucks.The Japanese automaker’s U.S. sales soared 25 percent in September from a year ago to 222,950 vehicles. Toyota’s U.S. sales for the month still trailed those of General Motors and Ford Motor Co.Among the other top six automakers, Ford Motor’s U.S. sales rose in September while GM, DaimlerChrysler, American Honda Motor Co. and Nissan North America Inc. posted declines.The sales comparisons in September for the domestic makes of Ford, GM and the Chrysler group are being made against a slow September 2005, when dealer inventories were depleted and shoppers were scarce after a summer of employee pricing deals.Overall, U.S. auto sales in September were up 2.0 percent from a year ago to 1,355,929 vehicles. But for the year to date, U.S. auto sales were down 3.7 percent from the same period last year to 12,712,159.GM held a 24.6 percent market share in September, down from 25.9 percent a year ago. Ford Motor’s share for the month was 17.5 percent, up from 17.1 percent last year, and Toyota Motor Sales’ share was 16.4 percent, up from 13.4 percent in September 2005.
It's good to see the domestic Auto builders with numbers that are trending upword, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Toyota is now breathing down Ford's back and will most likely overtake them in market share in the future..who would have thought.
J.

New Rolls on it's way


Autoweek has the latest info on the new upcoming baby Rolls Royce yet to be named, the only information given is that the car will be available sometime in 2010 and will come in below the 330.000 list of Rolls Royce's big boy Silver spoon, it will obviously be hand built and have the finest options that money can buy.
J.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Acura MDX quick Glance


2007 ACURA MDX
ON SALE: Oct. 17
BASE PRICE: $40,665
POWERTRAIN: 3.7-liter, 300-hp, 275-lb-ft V6; awd, five-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 4541 pounds
0 TO 60 MPH: 7.5 seconds (est.)
FUEL MILEAGE (EPA COMBINED): 18.9 mpg

How smart is it to introduce a sport/utility vehicle right now? Gas prices are unstable (yes, they’re dropping, but who knows how long that will last?), and pickup and SUV sales are beginning to show signs of shrinking. Yet here we have an all-new Acura MDX, and the good news for MDX lovers is that it’s a huge improvement over the outgoing model.
Acura’s seven-passenger MDX has always been a strong player in what could be termed the medium premium market (Volkswagen Touareg, Volvo XC90, Lexus RX and the like). Acura, going against conventional wisdom, figures the category will grow 26 percent in the next five years and aims to be ready.
The new MDX is a handsome devil, with crisper sheetmetal. It is 2.2 inches longer and 2.4 inches wider than the old one. Acura officials said they were going for a sportier-looking—and driving—MDX.

Acura is following a proven formula of providing a product with a high level of quality-content and fit and finish at a lower price than it's competitors, with the the first generation MDX, Acura seemed to be testing the waters, once they became established, they choose a target, aim and shoot. In this case their target is BMW, and Acura seems poised to make a dent in the sales numbers of BMW's X5.

J.

Read More from Autoweek

Monday, October 02, 2006

Schumacher Wins in China


Michael Schumacher won his 91st race when he claimed

Victory at the Chinese grand prix and closed the points gap

by tying Fernando Alonso with 116 points. This effectively

makes it a race until the last podium, Alonso looked all the

part of sore looser at this race by effectively Snubbing

Schumacher at park ferme and walking away without

so much as a pat on the back for the Ferrari driver .

Alonso must be seeing more than Ferrari Red now that his

major points lead has all but vanished, Schumacher is in

legendary form and looks ready to take the fight to Alonso.

J.

Hummer H2 SUT


If Paris Hilton married Paul Bunyan, the 2007 Hummer H2 SUT would be the perfect conveyance for the happy couple. Paris could still roll up to every Hollywood hotspot with her It Girl image preserved by the paparazzi-magnetic luxury truck. Paul could borrow the Hummer on the weekends, pack his pet blue ox Babe in the pickup bed and motor off to the wilderness for some off-roading and tree-chopping. And they would live happily ever after; that is, until the divorce a month later.

Trucks like the Hummer seem to appeal to the ego more than anything else, why buy something that doesn't really give you an advantage over anything it tries to emulate is beyond me.

But then this truck isn't really targeted at me, but those of us who are adventurers at heart.

J.

Interested.....

More on Belle Isle Race

Racing and business entrepreneur Roger Penske is about to create more magic for Motown. It will not be returning the National Football League’s Super Bowl to Detroit—a project he undertook and delivered almost single-handedly—but resurrecting something with which he is far more familiar, big-time motor racing.
Penske announced he will stage a race on Detroit’s Belle Isle, one of the largest city parks in the United States. He stopped by AutoWeek HQ to give us the lowdown.
Leading the Labor Day weekend bash on Belle Isle will be the Indy car stars. Making the proposition sweeter is the American Le Mans Series undercard. Why: Not only will fans see cars like Corvettes, Audis, Aston Martins and Cadillacs compete, the city should benefit from their hometown corporate interests as well.
Penske held a press conference at noon to announce the event with Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Suggesting this is further beyond the “what if” stage is that Brian Barnhart, president and COO of the Indy Racing League, Judge Mary Waterstone, president of Friends of Belle Isle, as well as the city of Detroit police chief, the chief operating officer for the city and the president and CEO of the Downtown Detroit Partnership, the organization through which Penske will work to promote and distribute funds, were all on hand.
While funding for the track and infrastructure improvements has not been identified, plans call for money generated from the race to benefit Belle Isle, a city park that in recent years has had to close multiple public facilities as a result of budget shortfalls.

Read More From Autoweek....